Tower of McGraw Hall from Libe Slope

The First Cornell Tower

Named for founding trustee John McGraw, who gave $120,000 for construction of the building, McGraw Hall, designed by architect Archimedes N. Russell, opened in 1872.

Built of an Ithaca stone known as Lenrock, the four-story building was the first on campus to include a tower and today is home to the American Studies Program, Department of History, Department of Anthropology, and Archaeology Intercollege Program.

Jennie McGraw, daughter of John McGraw, donated the chimes to be placed in the tower, where they stayed until McGraw Tower was built in 1891.

This year the College of Arts and Sciences inaugurated a comprehensive renovation of McGraw Hall.

Copyright 2023 Michael Stephen Wills All Rights Reserved